The bridge of Alligny .|
The bridge over the Ternin river (once named Tarraine) was opened on October 14, 1833. It is situated on the road D 516 from Alligny-en-Morvan to Pierre Ecrite, constructed in ashlars of granite and squared quarry stones with a bowed arch front and parapet. . This construction includes three arches, each a full hanger, a lightly humped-back apron and a parapet edged with passing places. It's structure resembles that of a small dimension bridge of of the eighteenth century. Heavy flooding took place in 1833and many residents had to evacuate their homes for some days as water flooded the houses of the lower part of Alligny, coming up to the foot of the cemetery surrounding the church.
Cross at the west of the Alligny bridge (chalky stone, 4,32m high)
This cross was placed there in the beginning of the last century. It dates the eighteenth century and carries the following inscription: "Cette croix a été érigée, à l'honneur de la mort et passion de nostre seigneur Jesus-Christ par Messire Claude Quarré Chevalier Comte d'Alligny officier au regiment de la Chene Laye, son frère, le 26 mars 1725." The house of Quarré arms were: "échiquetté d'azur et d'argent de six traits, au chef d'or chargé d'un lion passant, léopardé de sable armé de même et lampassé de gueule", with the devise "Quadrati semper aequales undique-recti". The cross was broken in the Révolutión, M. Pillien, the vicar of the parish, repaired it in 1825.
Le "travail". Is a cage made from wood that was used to control large animals (cattle, mules, donkeys,...) whilst they were shod or taken care of. A system of winch and straps was used to immobilize the animal in different attitudes. The marshal doing the shoeing also took care of the hooves of the cattle.
A Plaque commemorating Jean Genêt (1993) (facing the library).
Writer Jean Genêt, was a state fostered child who spent his childhood with foster parents in Alligny-en-Morvan. A plate fixed to the house, and unveiled in 1993 by M. François Mitterrand, President of Republic, commemorate this:- " I was raised in the Morvan by peasants ". - The foster parents of the Morvan welcomed the poor and deserted children placed there by the state. These children were called "Les petits Paris ".
The castle of Alligny (on the right of the road leading to Jarnoy)
Under feudalism Alligny had it's Lords. Barons at first, they were elevated to the position of Counts in 1676 in the person of Pierre Quarré, nicknamed the Brave d ' Alligny by Louis XIV, because of his heroic conduct at Maestricht and Valenciennes. They had three residences: the tower of Alligny, the tower of Ocle and the present castle. It's existence dates from the XVth century. In the XVIIth century, it included two barracks and six towers, being rebuilt after have been raised to the ground on the order of Henri IV. The Lords of Alligny exercised the high, middle and low justice, and also had the right to raise gallows; this is a relatively rare occurrence. The present state of the building hardly reflects the importance of the past.
Lavoirs and fountains.
As water is abundant in the Morvan, it doesn't lack sources, fountains, wells and of course lavoirs. Some fountains had, according to the popular tradition, particular virtues, some known to heal fevers and others to improve fertility. Pilgrimages were organized to the fountain Saint Hilaire, and the chapel of the ewes dedicated to Saint Franchy.
The lavoirs were places where the women of the village met socially and to do the laundry. This was a long and arduous task especially during the winter. It was here that the news was exchanged.
The station of Alligny
On 4th August 1901 The Corbigny-Orroux railway line was opened, this was extended to Alligny on 2nd December of the same year. This line was operated by the Compagnie des Chemins de fer de la Nièvre. In 1902 the service was guarabteed by La Société générale des chemins de fer économiques. In July 1903 the section between Alligny -Saulieu was opened. This line was conceived to service a large and important region, and to join with two big existing lines, bringing a supplement of traffic of the stations of Corbigny and Saulieu. This project started in 1883 and was The object of long proceedings, by the conseil general notaniment. In 1897 the Parliament adopted the Government bill declaring a public utility, the establishment of the railroad from Corbigny to Saulieu (in a guage of 1m). The anticipated buildings: a station building of 9m by 8m, containing on the ground floor a kitchen, a waiting room, an office for the distribution of the tickets and a luggage office, and on the first floor, a modest bu spacious lodging, for the station master. A waiting room and a small adjoining room for the lamps. A covered market for goods of 6m by 5m. A small embankment measuring between 20m to 40m long. The last journey of the old railway took place on 15th March 1939, the advent of road transport proving to be too competitive.
The former rectory (facing the cemetery, on the left of the road towards the hamlet of La Crémaine)
In the XV1th century the priests, at the mercy of war bands, decided to build a rectory not far from the feudal castle. They stayed there until the beginning of the XXth century, the time of the separation of the church and state. The town sold the building in 1910.
The present rectory (to the north of the church).
In 1836 Mme de Serent the proprietor of the Chateau of Alligny decided to found an establishment of three nuns for the education of girls and the care of the sick. Work started in 1844 and was functioning in 1847. It was closed in 1902 following the law on religeous establishments.
The War Memorial
Errected in the beginning of nineteen twenties, it includes two columns mirroring those that, in the decorate the west entry of the church; they come from the castle of Champeau.
The church of St. Hilaire.
Erected in the XVth century, on the foundations of a manorial chapel of the XIIth century, the church of St Hilaire is in the Roman style of architecture with a central bell tower. Numerous modifications have been carried out during the last two centuries, notably to the of the nave. But it is from 1960 to 1980 that the interior aspect has radically changed, to improve it's functional use. These last modifications are the work of local artists (tympan made of hammered copper, grids, baptismal font...).
GiteRental Homepage.The gîte at Reglois. The gîte at Palaizot. The gîte at Valouze. The Morvan Homepage.