The castle of Alligny.|
Under feudalism Alligny had it's Lords. Barons at first, they were elevated to the position of Counts in 1676 in the person of Pierre Quarré, nicknamed the Brave d ' Alligny by Louis XIV, because of his heroic conduct at Maestricht and Valenciennes. They had three residences: the tower of Alligny, the tower of Ocle and the present castle. It's existence dates from the XVth century. In the XVIIth century, it included two barracks and six towers, being rebuilt after have been raised to the ground on the order of Henri IV. The Lords of Alligny exercised the high, middle and low justice, and also had the right to raise gallows; this is a relatively rare occurrence. The present state of the building hardly reflects the importance of the past.
The owner of the Alligny castle having two sons would have made it his aim that each can have his own " castle “. It is in this place that the ancient covered markets of Alligny were built and fairs held.
Lavoirs and fountains.
As water is abundant in the Morvan, it doesn't lack sources, fountains, wells and of course lavoirs. Some fountains had, according to the popular tradition, particular virtues, some known to heal fevers and others to improve fertility. Pilgrimages were organized to the fountain Saint Hilaire, and the chapel of the ewes dedicated to Saint Franchy. The lavoirs were places where the women of the village met socially and to do the laundry. This was a long and arduous task especially during the winter. It was here that the news was exchanged.
A hamlet once well known for the culture of small luscious turnips.
A surrounding wall formed by earlier ditches and a tower in the hamlet is, according to some authors, site of the first manor of the lords of the area. Along the path it can be seen that some hedges have been "laid" the stems and the branches of trees were intertwined in order to form an efficient fence against the animals, at that time barbed and wire fencing did not exist.
The step of the devil
In the meadows by the stream, a block of granite carries an imprint of a step, said to be that of the devil. However it is more reasonable to wonder at the slow work of corrosion on the old massif.
Discovered in 1640 by the Lord d ' Alligny, Gaspard Quarré, this layer of mineral was exploited immediately, then abandoned, being judged unprofitable. Other works followed in the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries. It was not until1909-1910 that industrial exploitation started. In 1913, close on forty miners worked there. Two shafts allowed the mineralised vein very rich in galena (75 lead), and argentiferous (200 grams silver per ton). Toward 1928-1929 more than a hundred workers of various origins were employed, (Morvandiaux, Polish, Yugoslavian, Italian, Spanish, Moroccan) extracting three lead tons per day. Hazardous conditions and financial considerations caused closure the mine in 1930.
The tower d'Ocle .
In the middle ages the Lords of Alligny established their fortress on a hill situated on a hill positioned in the waters of a large pond, facing Champcommeau. Some remains can still be seen.
The line of the old railway.
You follow the former old railway line until you come into view of the station of Alligny (a plate exists on the rear of the building). In 1901 the Corbigny-Ouroux railway line was inaugurated, extended to Alligny by 2nd December. In July of the following year a further section between Alligny-Saulieu was opened. This line was conceived to service a large and important region, and to join with two big existing lines, bringing a supplement of traffic of the stations of Corbigny and Saulieu. The last journey of the old railway took place on 15th March 1939, the advent of road transport proving to be too competitive.
Former rectory .
In the XV1th century the priests, at the mercy of war bands, decided to build a rectory not far from the feudal castle. They stayed there until the beginning of the XXth century, the time of the separation of the church and state. The town sold the building in 1910.
GiteRental Homepage.The gîte at Reglois. The gîte at Palaizot. The gîte at Valouze. The Morvan Homepage.